- Promotion of the sport of sailing internationally
- Management of sailing at both the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Development of the Racing Rules of Sailing and the regulations that govern all sailing competitions
- Training of all judges, umpires and administrators
- Development of the sport globally
- Representation of the sailors in all matters pertaining to the sport of sailing.
The development of the sport led to the development of other niche industries as well. In the late 1990s the betting industry started offering bets for sailing competitions. It turned out that the number of people betting on this sport was not high as a number, but the sheer amounts they gambled was times higher than the average for other sports. According to topbettingsite.co.uk the fans that bet on sailing do so with amounts that are on average 12 times higher than the fans that bet on football. This is significant difference and the betting industry could simply not ignore it.The RYA has a number of responsibilities within the UK, including the following:
- Help Britain’s best windsurfing and sailing talents reach their full potential from their earliest competitions all the way to winning Olympic Gold, including those who are disabled
- Manage development programs that encourage and provide the opportunity for young people to try sailing
- Ensure that sailing clubs receive the funding required to maintain and upgrade their facilities
- Provide training materials, courses and training programs to help sailors excel to international levels
- Train instructors to the highest standard so that they in turn can coach sailors
- Govern the international sailing rules within the UK
The World’s Top Sailing Yacht Racing EventsSailing is an exciting water sport, but you don't have to be a sailor to enjoy the races! Watching the sailboat races can be fun and exciting. There are several sailing racing events around the world throughout the year. We reveal some of the most impressive races of this water sport. Learn what makes sailing the best sport, and why you should take advantage of everything sailing has to offer.